Growing in Tandem with SocietyPaving the Way for the Development of Hong Kong

Paving the Way for the Development of Hong Kong

In 1955, Dr Lui founded the first K. Wah Company so he could participate in the land reclamation works taking place in and around Kwun Tong, laying a foundation for the development of the district into a hub for light industries. For the next 60 years, K. Wah remained an undisputed leader in Hong Kong’s construction materials sector, supplying over one-third of the construction materials used in Hong Kong’s rise to economic prominence.

During the 1960s, K. Wah secured the quarrying rights for Anderson Road Quarry, the first new stone quarry in Hong Kong. At this quarry, the company revolutionized the quarrying business by applying machinery in what had been a highly labour-intensive industry, heralding a new era of safe, efficient and mechanized quarrying. With his resolute spirit, Dr Lui turned K. Wah Construction Materials into the city’s largest one-stop construction materials supplier in Hong Kong, despite the extremely challenging business conditions.